The founding of La Línea de la Concepción date back to 1704, served as a defensive bastion against the attack of the French troops. However, according to José Carlos de Luna in his “History of Gibraltar”, the city appears much earlier, concretely in 1333, when King Alfonso attacked the Arab troops in the environs of Palmones and Guadarranque rivers.
These, before the unexpected attack, fled toward the sand isthmus La Atunara (today known as La Atunara) to hide behind Gibraltar.
Although of these events, La Linea de la Concepcion was born undoubtedly because of the loss of the Rock in 1704.
At that moment the Spanish army failed his first attempt to reclaim the square and lifted the siege, but a permanent garrison was established in this area in order to oversee the isthmus and resist a possible invasion of all other territories. That is how the military government of Gibraltar was born.
From this, a stronghold the line of Gibraltar constituted by the forts of Santa Barbara and San Felipe is built. In this way the fortresses of the already then known as “Line of Gibraltar”, would continue unbroken for 20 years, closing all communication with The Rock.
“The Line of Gibraltar”
On the other hand, the formation of the modest village started with the cessation of hostilities, people came from all parts of Spain, who were engaged in trade, agriculture and fisheries particularly.
That “Line of Gibraltar” was part of the municipality of San Roque until July 20, 1870, when it was segregated of it and was established in the new City under the name of La Linea de la Concepcion, as the Immaculate Conception the patroness of the army. It was not until 1913 when it received the title of city under the reign of Alfonso XIII.
“The Military Line” offers to the visitor a tour full of military sites that have shaped the city until mid s.XX.